Glenmeadow Learning Offers a Look at the Appraisal World
Second program in the fall education series will examine the auction market and collecting trends
LONGMEADOW–Auctioneer George Thomas Lewis will explore the dynamics that impact the auction market in his talk to be held at Glenmeadow on Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 10 a.m.
Lewis will lead “Auction Review: A Look at What’s Hot—and What’s Not,” the second program in the fall Glenmeadow Learning series, and he will discuss the auction market for fine tangibles, offering real-life examples and observations on the economic factors that influence collecting trends.
Lewis is the Western Massachusetts representative for Skinner Inc., an auction house that draws international interest from buyers and consigners, with material regularly achieving record prices. The company’s appraisal services focus on fine art, jewelry, furniture and decorative arts from around the globe, including fine musical instruments, rare books and Judaica.
When registering, a limited number of attendees may sign up to meet one-on-one with Lewis following the presentation for a verbal appraisal of an object. Participants who do so may have lunch in the Glenmeadow café or take a tour of the life plan community while waiting for their appointment.
Glenmeadow Retirement is located at 24 Tabor Crossing.
The program is free, but seating is limited, and registration is required; call (413) 567-7800 or email email@example.com. Visit glenmeadow.org/learning for more information.
Established in 1884, Glenmeadow is a nonprofit, accredited continuing care retirement community; it provides independent and assisted living at its campus at 24 Tabor Crossing in Longmeadow and expanded Glenmeadow at Home services throughout greater Springfield.
To learn more about Glenmeadow and its history and offerings, visit www.glenmeadow.org.
In the 1800s, elderly individuals without family or means were sent to live at what was called “the poor farm.” In 1884, a group of civic leaders raised funds among themselves and other area families and purchased a house on Main Street in Springfield’s south end. Quickly outgrowing that house, land was purchased on the corner of Chestnut and Carew streets, where a new home was constructed and opened in 1900. In 1960, the name was changed to Chestnut Knoll, and in 1992, it began to admit men.
In 1993, the organization purchased a 23-acre parcel in Longmeadow to build a new community that would provide both independent living and assisted living in one building with various common areas. This was a new concept known as a continuing care retirement community. Existing residents from the old Chestnut Knoll property were moved to the new campus in 1997. Shortly after the move, the board voted to change its legal name to Glenmeadow to coincide with the name being used by the developer of the property.