Glenmeadow Learning Offers Author Talk on Crafting a Memoir
Program is the third in the spring education series
EAST LONGMEADOW—Glenmeadow will present “Writing Your Life: An Author’s Tips on Crafting a Memoir” on Tuesday, May 23 from 10 a.m.-noon.
Author John Sheirer will talk about his creative writing life and his work leading English and communications courses at Asnuntuck Community College, and he’ll read from his memoirs, Loop Year and Growing up Mostly Normal in the Middle of Nowhere. Sheirer will also offer participants guidance on writing a memoir and will lead them in a writing exercise or two, using prompts he developed on his own and features in his book What’s the Story?
Sheirer has taught at Asnuntuck Community College in Enfield, Connecticut, for 24 years. He is the author of a dozen books, including several works for children featuring his dog Libby.
The program will be offered by Glenmeadow at Bay Path University on its East Campus in the Philip H. Ryan Health Science Center, Room 222. The center is at 1 Denslow Road.
Glenmeadow Learning is one of many free programs Glenmeadow offers to members of the wider community. And these programs represent only one facet of the life plan community’s mission to serve seniors across the region and to operate as a socially accountable organization.
Established in 1884, Glenmeadow is a nonprofit, accredited continuing care retirement community; it provides independent and assisted living at its campus at 24 Tabor Crossing in Longmeadow and expanded Glenmeadow at Home services throughout greater Springfield.
To learn more about Glenmeadow and its history and offerings, visit www.glenmeadow.org.
In the 1800s, elderly individuals without family or means were sent to live at what was called “the poor farm.” In 1884, a group of civic leaders raised funds among themselves and other area families and purchased a house on Main Street in Springfield’s south end. Quickly outgrowing that house, land was purchased on the corner of Chestnut and Carew streets, where a new home was constructed and opened in 1900. In 1960, the name was changed to Chestnut Knoll, and in 1992, it began to admit men.
In 1993, the organization purchased a 23-acre parcel in Longmeadow to build a new community that would provide both independent living and assisted living in one building with various common areas. This was a new concept known as a continuing care retirement community. Existing residents from the old Chestnut Knoll property were moved to the new campus in 1997. Shortly after the move, the board voted to change its legal name to Glenmeadow to coincide with the name being used by the developer of the property.